Monday, September 22, 2008
Club Getaway
So Harv and I left the kids for the first time this weekend. We went to our good
friend's Bram and Eden's wedding in Kent, CT. It was only about 2 hours away at an old children's camp called "Club Getaway". My mom was still here and my sister Jennie came in this weekend too. She is here for the entire week. Can I get a "Whoo Whoo!"
Anyway, it was really the first time we've been away from the kids for any significant period of time. (And it was less than 24 hrs. We left around 1:30 and came back the next day round 11:00.) It was really kinda weird. Not weird like when I found my mom with her hair brushed out the other morning singing crazy made up songs to my daughter...but more weird like I thought I would be so happy to be out of the house for a bit and drinking...which I was...but on the other hand I totally missed the kids. I mean, I've heard stories from my other mom friends about being out or on a little vacation but how they couldn't stop thinking bout their kids. Not being a mom I always thought..."Are they fucking crazy? What's a matter with them? Why can't they just enjoy being out with me, they see their kids all the time! Why don't they want to do more shots?"
Well, I hate to admit it, but now I understand. It's like, you're totally psyched to be out of the house and hanging out with your friends drinking alcohol. But then you also totally miss your kids and can't stop thinking about them. You wonder how many ounces they took at their last feeding or if they made a huge pooper. Sad, but true. And then most of your friends tend to have kids as well so the conversation turns in that direction. Instead of talking about how drunk I got the night before and how hungover I'll be in the morning, I found myself talking about the merits of Gary Ezzo's "Babywise" and his sleep, wake, play pattern.
Don't get me wrong. We had a blast. And I drank a lot for the first time in over a year. I had many vodka sodas, some wine and even a Bailey's on ice. (Yes, I was pumping and dumping...not to worry.) I paced myself though - which was very un-Ann-like. And in case you didn't hear me before, I diluted my vodka with soda - instead of my usual vodka on the rocks. Harvey even wanted to do a shot at one point and I think I denied it. Which I feel bad about. I think he just caught me at a moment that I wasn't interested in shots. Which again, is very weird. But he hadn't ordered it yet. So it wasn't like he handed me a shot and I didn't want to do it. The day that happens we are all in trouble.
But we still had fun. And got out. And most importantly got some sleep...like a good 6-7 hours. Amazing.
So now the week begins...
Harvey is still back at work. But like I said, my sister Jennie is here for the week. And she seems to be really really REALLY good with the kids. She plays with them. And talks to them constantly. What a good Aunt she is. I think I hear her reading "What's wrong with Pookie" now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment