Today was my third Father's Day. I could tell that Jacob and Mason were excited 'cos they'd been talking about it for days - but I think that was because they'd get to open my presents, which is one of Mason's favorite things in the whole wide World. Here's how the day went down.
Part One - The Good Bit
I awoke to two little muchkins jumping on the bed shouting "Happy Father's Day!" Mason insisted on opening the present she gave to me which was a cool T-shirt containing a picture of Darth Vader with the caption "World's Greatest Dad". I also got a coffee mug with a picture of the kids and myself sitting in a beer garden (which will now become my new work-mug) plus a few cards. One of the cards had stickers in which said things like "Super Dad" and Mason and Jacob stuck them all over my T-shirt. I was the happiest dad in the World. We had breakfast (Jacob and I had bagel and lox and Mason had toast) and I drank coffee out of my new mug. I was the happiest dad in the World. We all played outside, blowing bubbles and chasing each other in the sun. I was the happiest dad in the World. Jacob and Mason were shattered and needed a nap. They took one, Ann did some work and I chilled out on the couch, watching the Sci-Fi channel. I was the happiest dad in the World. When the kids woke up I got them out of their cribs and we worked on some jigsaws. Mason's already mastered the 48-piecer and was helping Jacob with it. It was so nice to see them playing together and laughing with daddy. I am blessed with my family. I was the happiest dad in the World.
And then the day went pear-shaped...
Part Two - Father's Day Comes Crashing Down.
It was about 5pm. Mason looked over at me and, out of the blue said "No more Father's Day for you!" I was mortified. She repeated it and then grabbed the "My Dad is my Hero" sticker off my chest, screwed it up and threw it to the ground. What had happened to my little girl? How could she have grown from a sweet almost-three-year-old to a teenager with personality issues?! I'm still perplexed as I write this and remember the malevolent look in her eyes as she said it. I'm not one to bear a grudge but when it comes to their third birthday, just before she's about to blow the candles out on her birthday cake, there'll be a little voice in my head trying to convince me to whisk the cake away and say "no more birthday for you!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment