Thursday, September 8, 2011

C'mon Irene!


So a couple weekends ago, Hoboken was essentially evacuated because of an impending Hurricane -- Irene. Now, Hoboken floods normally just from your average everyday rain so imagine what a storm would do.

They said it was gonna be bad. Real bad. At first I didn't really believe the media or worry much. But the closer it got to the weekend, the more panicked I became. Mainly because everyone around me was so worried. All the flashlights, batteries, candles and water was missing from the stores. It was seriously nuts around here. But we prepared. We got our water. We had a few baby flashlights and I managed to get a few candles from Target. Our new apartment is up on the 3rd floor so we didn't think we really had to worry much. Well, Harvey didn't anyway. At one point I started getting all hormonal and said to Harvey, "I just don't want to be one of those people like during Katrina. I don't want to be standing on my roof pregnant with two kids."  He then reassured me that Hoboken was not New Orleans and that I was being crazy. Which kind of made me even crazier but that's beside the point...

So yeah. We stocked up on food and water...Gillian and Burke and James came over and we all hunkered down and waited. It was kinda nuts because that night at about midnight, these emergency vehicles with loudspeakers were driving around Hoboken saying "This is your last chance to evacuate...come out of your houses with your families and we will take you to the Izod Center. We repeat, this is your last chance to evacuate." It was really eerie since there were no other cars on the streets, it was pouring with rain and these emergency vehicles had spotlights shining. I swear I felt like I was in Nazi Germany.

So the point of this story really is that the kids had their first "sleepover" with Burke and James. The boys brought their sleeping bags and we put them all in Mason & Jacob's room. I thought they would never get to sleep, but they did. And they had so much fun. I think they were exhausted from running around all day inside with their friends...but anyway.

Hurricane came. Hurricane left. Hoboken flooded. But nothing too crazy. Thank goodness.

If anyone needs any water or canned goods please give us a shout.

No comments: