Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Englandtown

Again, it's been a long time since I've posted. Luckily, my sexy husband has made a couple posts keeping you all up to date on the status of the cutest twins in Hoboken. Again, I've been meaning to post. But for some reason I just haven't gotten around to it as of late. But, well, here I am. Yeah!

I had to wait 21 years before I went to England. Little Mason and Jacob only had to wait 5 months. Lucky little shits. Actually, they are gonna be the coolest kids ever. Yes, they will have duel citizenship because they were born here and Harvey is still English. So they'll get two passports. Which will kind of look impressive when they're older. I think. I mean, if I had met a guy that had two passports when I was in college I totally would have gone home with him. Thus I digress...

Our trip. (please excuse me if I repeat what Harvey has already told you-- but I'm just writing off the cuff here. I'll try and be brief, although I know I never am.)

All in all it was a successful journey. Considering the 5 hour time change, the traveling with two infants and all the crap the comes with them -- including car seats, strollers, bottles, organic vegetables ect. It was so good to see everyone. And it was especially fun to spend time with my in-laws, my sister-in law Melinda and my cute nephew, Lewis. (Honestly, I really do like my in-laws. They're great. They are crazy, like my parents so I feel right at home. And no, I'm not just writing that because I know they are reading this. :) ) The flight over was awesome. Sure, we had to get up at the ass crack of dawn, but the kids didn't care. They were actually in really good moods the whole way over. And the flight was totally empty so we had a ton of space. I think Harvey even managed to watch half of Rock and Rolla. The winds were with us so I think the whole trip only took 5 1/2 hours which was faaaantastic.

The stay over was fun. It was great to see the whole family and spend time with everyone since we barely get to see each other. It was especially great to hang out with my little nephew Lewis. He's now 2 1/2 and so cute. Like really cute. Like really really really cute. He loved his little cousins and seemed to be fascinated with Mason. I caught him one morning bending over and looking at her on the play mat (that used to be his) and he said, "Hello darling." Now imagine it again in an English accent. I swear, little kids with English accents are so damn cute. Kind of makes me a little sad that Mason and Jacob won't have one. But maybe they'll pick up a word or two. And Nana and Papa were great with the kids too. Singing to them. Dancing for them. Even participating in naked time. Videos to come later. (and don't worry - Ian and Sandra didn't get naked, it was all Mase and Jake.)We had visitors nearly every day. I mean, the cutest twins in the world were there, what did you expect? A big thanks to Melinda and Sandra for getting so many toys and car seats and all the gear that you need to entertain two 5 1/2 month olds. We totally appreciated everything you did to make our stay as pleasant as possible. And I have to give another shout out to Sandra for the delicious home made dinners she cooked for us every night. Although we love to cook, Harv and I barely do it anymore. No time. And if there is time I'm always dreading doing the dishes after. So we've been sticking to the frozen meals and take out menus I'm afraid.

The sleeping was a bit hairy. Jacob refused to sleep in his Pack N Play. Mason didn't mind so much. Although both of their body clocks were all messed up from the time change. Jacob ended up sleeping in his car seat the whole time. Which was fine. Except for the fact that we kind of undid all the good we did with getting him into the crib before we left.

The major faupaux that we made was not bringing enough formula. And being that England is another country they don't have any Similac their. Or Enfamil. Or any brand I was familiar with. So...we ended up buying a completely new formula for Mason and putting Jacob on half of his normal Alimentum formula and half Mason's Similac Advanced. (which in a way was fine since we wanted to try and start to maybe wean him off his formula anyway) This was big though. And semi-stressful. Of everything we packed, how could we forget to bring enough formula? Well, at least we had plenty of outfits.

The kids actually had their best night of sleep the night before we were leaving. They finally had adjusted! And then we had to get on another plane and come back.

The plane ride home was not as smooth. It was later in the day so the kids were naturally a bit crankier. Also they were much stricter at Heathrow then they were at Newark as far as us bringing baby stuff. We had to taste all of our liquids - well, Harvey did. Prune juice and all. We actually ended up having to throw away a bunch of the premixed formula we had brought for Mason since once you open it, it's no good unless it's refridgerated. I was kind of annoyed but didn't make a fuss about it since we had some back up powder. Them Brits are strict though. The sky cots on the way home were different too. They were the old school ones - which were essentially boxes that you place the babies in. Which were good cause there was more room in them. And bad because you had to remove them during any turbulance. Also, as you well know, Sir Galahad does not like laying on his back. Oh no. Lets just say they cried a lot, making the flight not as enjoyable as the first. Oh yeah, and this one was 8 hours as opposed to the 5 1/2 from before.

So now we are home. It's been 3 days since we've been back and the kids are definitely less jet lagged and we are slowly getting them back into the swing of things. Which is what we are all hoping for. Jake has even been sleeping in his crib. Kind of. Sort of. We'll see what the week brings. Oh wait. It's almost Thursday. The week has already been brought. Cute pics from the trip to come. Stay tuned.

No comments: