We even gave both the kids baths yesterday. Which went surprisingly well. Mason always likes her bath. I kind of think she enjoys being naked. Jacob on the other hand, usually screams murder. Because of that, we almost didn't bathe him, thinking we'll do it tomorrow, when Ann Marie is here. But, sticking by my parenting philosophy of wanting to treat both the kids equally we braved it and bathed Sir Galahad. Which he actually really enjoyed. Which was weird. Well, he got a little upset and screamed when the water first touched his body. But after about a minute, he quieted right down. I think I even caught a smile at one point. And he remained quiet even when we were changing him into his PJs.
Then night fell. We heated up some Malaysian take-out from the night before and as I sat on my couch eating dinner I knew it was the calm before the storm. I also felt like it was midnight and it was only 7:00 PM. If I was working, I would probably still be there. I was sort of nervous of what the night would bring. I kind of felt like Will Smith in "I Am Legend". You know the scene in the beginning where night is coming and he locks the place up and is sitting in the bathtub with his shotgun waiting for all hell to break loose. That was how I felt inside. Just a little bit.
And I guess last night was probably equally as stressful as the night before. The only thing better was that we didn't have company over to entertain so I didn't feel bad about dealing with the kids all evening. I mean, it wasn't horrible or anything, but once again, we couldn't get Jacob to stop screaming uncontrollably for a couple hours straight. And like the night before, we tried everything. Walking around with him, putting him in the car seat, the swing, the bouncey seat. Trying to burp him. Harvey had even downloaded some "white noise" vacuum cleaner and hair dryer sounds that we put on the IPod which feeds into the ICrib. (that worked a little bit, but Jacob wasn't having any of it.) I resorted to putting him on the boob but he was SO awake and agitated he wouldn't even take that. And that's when you know things are bad. And that's why I shed a tear or two. I was just worried that something was wrong. And again, felt so bad for the little guy. He looked so stressed out. Why was he crying so much? Why wouldn't it stop? Does he hate us or something?
We resorted to giving him some Mylicon. I'm not sure if it really worked or not, but it seemed to calm him for a bit. So yeah. The night went on. And he slept a little bit. Again, they fed every 3 hours, which I guess is pretty damn good for only being 3 weeks and 2 days old. But again, Harv and I were very tired. Still are very tired.
And at approximately 8:30 AM I heard the sweet sound on someone knocking on our door. It was Ann Marie. (Cue in angelic, Godlike music as if the heavens are opeining..."Ahhhhh") "How was the weekend?" she said smiling. And then told us she could hear Jacob crying from down the hall. Oh man, am I glad to have her back. And I speak for Harvey as well. We couldn't be happier. We told her what went on with Jacob this weekend and she sort of seemed like she couldn't believe it. She probably thinks we messed them up somehow. But then again, that is probably just me being paranoid. So I took a nap from 9:00-10:00. And since I've been up, writing this I haven't heard a cry once. How DOES she do it? That, my friends, is my mission for the next week - to find out her secret baby power source.
Harvey's family comes in tonight for a week. His mom, dad, sister and my cute little 2 year old nephew, Lewis. It's their first time seeing the twins. Should be fun. Maybe the twins will pick up their accents. That would be cool. Little kids with English accents are so damn cute. Not that Mason and Jacob could get any cuter...
1 comment:
Do you remember When I would get up at 3AM and you and Jen would get up and we would sit at the kitchen table. I would give Mat a bottle and you and Jen would have oreos and milk. We would have a fizzy's party.
Love Dad
Post a Comment