Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A weekend of firsts

It was a weekend of firsts for the twins...oh yes. Not like, "oh they said their first word" or "the first time they had a drink". Duh. They are too young for either of those. But a few notable firsts that occurred on Sunday--

The Twins First Trip to a Bar
Now for those of you who know Harv and I, you know that Sundays BC (Before Children) are/were sacred. They were a day to relax, chill out, drink beer, eat wings and watch football. American football. Most Sundays you could find us at our favorite Hoboken bar, McSwiggens. We'd arrive early and leave late. Since we've had the kids-- not so much. Haven't had the time to go to the bar. Haven't been able to watch my beloved Patriots since New York cable only show the Jets and Giants. I've been reduced to feeding babies while listening to the Pats games on my Sirius satellite radio. But this Sunday was different.

We took the kids to the bar. I have to admit, we were pretty nervous. Would the stroller fit? Would Jacob scream like a maniac? Would we be those annoying people in the bar with kids who you feel like you can't really swear around or talk loud in front of?

The trip was successful. We sat outside and still had a view of the big screen TVs. I drank a bloody mary. Harv had a few beers. Friends came out to meet us and we actually socialized like normal adults. It was definitely fun and the kids were great -- but still not the same as going to McSwiggens BC. But then again, nothing much is anymore. Still good to know that we can take them out into public places. Like bars. Even if they can't drink, it's still pretty cool.

They Saw their First Chinese Person*
My friend Winnie came in from the city to see the kids. Winnie is Chinese. And she is proud to be the first Chinese person the kids have seen up close and personal. I think they liked her. They were actually really good in her presence. Yes, Jacob included. Growing up on the mean streets of Hoboken, it's very monochromatic. Not too much diversity. So it was good for them. For sure.



They Saw the Patriots Play one of the Worst Games EVER
No joke. It was totally embarrassing. If the Patriots don't get a new QB it's going to be a very long season. The best part of the day was I dressed them in the morning in their Patriots onesies. Mason was crying like a complete nutbag. Harvey says, "Hmmm...maybe she's a JETS fan and the onesie is burning her." I don't think she's a JETS fan. Just sad about Tommy being out for the season. Which I understand. I mean, what girl isn't.



* meant to be funny. like funny ha ha.


No comments: